Thursday, May 26, 2011

It's been a while

It's been a long time since I wrote here. I started blogging as a new postdoc, to vent about the frustrations, and to join the community of scientists on the web who describe the vagaries of the scientific life.

I haven't enjoyed being a postdoc very much, and I'm distinctly ambivalent about still having the same job. There are many ups to being a postdoc and many downs, but I' not going to talk about them anymore, there are so many people who say it better. Besides, all that talking blinded me to why I do it in the first place: I think the immune system is pretty damn awesome, and I find something interesting to read about it nearly every day.

A lot has changed since I last wrote here: I have an energetic toddler, I'm far more downbeat about my ambitions to cure disease, I'm tired, I feel guilty most of time, and I'm afraid I'm losing my spark, the zip that makes my mind interesting and unique. All of which said, I find that I'm still jazzed about immunology, and I'm going to just try and focus on that. The ideas, the innovations and the incredible pace with which our understanding of the immune system progresses.

So the next post will be about my new favorite idea. And will be posted in a time period less than three years.

1 comment:

MinCat said...

yay! wilkommen. eagerly awaiting.

word verification is hysguerr, lets make it our new battle cry for writing!